Djokovic Aims for Australian Open Glory as Visa Threat Lingers

(Bloomberg) — Novak Djokovic has resumed training in Melbourne to vie for a record 21st Grand Slam victory as he waits for the Australian government to decide if it will seek to deport him for a second time.

The world mens’ No. 1 tennis player was released from detention late Monday after a judge overturned the cancellation of his visa, saying the unvaccinated Djokovic wasn’t given enough time to fully respond to border officials who denied him entry to Australia. Immigration Minister Alex Hawke can exercise his own personal power to cancel the visa again, despite the ruling.

“I’m pleased and grateful that the judge overturned my visa cancellation,” Djokovic said in a tweet late Monday. “Despite all that has happened, I want to stay and try to compete at the Australian Open. I remain focused on that.”

Judge Anthony Kelly said in his decision that Djokovic faced harm to his personal and professional reputation from the court proceedings that took place on Monday. He also warned that any attempt by minister Hawke to use his personal cancellation powers could mean that Djokovic wouldn’t be able to return to Australia for three years.

The Association of Tennis Professionals, male players’ global governing body, echoed his comments, saying it was clear that Djokovic had the necessary medical exemption to play in Australia. The organization said it was aware that Australians had made many sacrifices during the pandemic and still strongly recommended vaccination for all players.

“Complications in recent days related to player entry into Australia have, however, highlighted the need for clearer understanding, communication and application of the rules,” ATP said in a statement Monday.

The saga highlights the mismatch between federal and state policies that’s been a hallmark of Australia’s Covid-19 journey. While Victoria state granted Djokovic an exemption before he boarded a plane, federal officials overturned his visa on arrival amid a national uproar that a wealthy sports star was receiving special treatment. More than 90% of Australian adults are fully vaccinated and the country has endured some of the world’s toughest restrictions during the pandemic. 

Australians who haven’t had at least two doses of vaccine are restricted from entering most indoor venues in Victoria as the state sees to curb the spread of the omicron variant and ease pressure on hospitals. The country reported more than 100,000 new Covid-19 cases for the first time in a single day on Saturday.

Airport Ordeal

Djokovic arrived in Australia late Wednesday night local time and was questioned at Melbourne Airport for hours before Border Force officials decided to cancel his visa. The player’s confusion and frustration during the interviews was apparent in a transcript released shortly after Monday’s court decision.

“I really am a little bit surprised that I am in this situation because how am I supposed to even come to Australia if I didn’t have these documents that are official documents?” Djokovic said, according to the transcript.

In a 35-page filing released on Saturday, his lawyers said the world No. 1 had received a document on Jan. 1 from Australia’s Department of Home Affairs affirming the exemption would allow him to enter the country. 

“Mr. Djokovic understood that he was entitled to enter Australia and Victoria and to compete in the Australian Tennis Open,” the lawyers wrote. 

In its response, the Australian ministry rejected Djokovic’s “so-called ‘medical exemption’” and said “there is no such thing as an assurance of entry by a non-citizen into Australia.”  

Djokovic has previously won the Australian Open nine times. The tournament will start on Jan. 17.

More stories like this are available on bloomberg.com

©2022 Bloomberg L.P.

Close Bitnami banner
Bitnami